Ferrier Goal Secures Daggers 1-0 Victory

Adam Payne reports as Dagenham secured a 1-0 victory on Tuesday night against league leaders Macclesfield Town in an enticing affair.

Dagenham and Redbridge vs Macclesfield 24th October 2017

Man of the Match Morgan Ferrier’s goal five minutes into the second half was enough to secure The Daggers their first win in all competitions.

Dagenham began the first half in strong fashion, moving the ball about quickly and frustrating their opposition.

The first clear-cut opportunity of the game fell at top goal-scorer Corey Whitely’s feet.

The winger unleashed a 20-yard bullet after receiving the ball from Andre Boucaud, the shot was well saved by Macclesfield keeper, Sam Ramsbottom.

Dagenham’s dominance continued for over half an hour, when Ferrier out-muscled a couple of Macclesfield players and fired another shot inches over the crossbar.

However, the Silkmen were top of the league for a reason and came close to breaking the deadlock at the end of the first half when left-midfielder, Koby Arthur cut in from the left and hit a speculative shot from distance that Dagenham stopper Mark Cousins had to put everything behind to palm it away.

Strong Second Half

Dagenham started the second half spritely and were nearly rewarded when a dangerous Whitely cross from the right-wing was met by Michael Cheek. The forward, making his second consecutive game after injury, fluffed his lines and missed the target from six-yards.

The Daggers were rewarded minutes later when a misplaced pass from Macclesfield defender Keith Lowe was intercepted by Charlee Adams. The Daggers midfielder threaded the ball through into the empty space in-behind for Ferrier to run onto, and rounded the diving Ramsbottom to slot into an open goal.

Speedy Substitutes

The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Macclesfield and they had no response to Dagenham’s attacking prowess. John Still made a couple of changes bringing on Fejiri Okenabirhie and Mason Bloomfield for Cheek and Whitely.

They instantly changed the game and injected more pace in to the front line.

With 20 minutes to go, Okenabirhie stormed down the right-hand side heading towards goal and was brought down just outside the 18-yard box. Adams took the resulting free-kick drilling the ball low, but just wide of the left-hand upright.

Into additional time the last action of the game fell to Macclesfield’s, Danny Whitehead who had a long drive acrobatically saved by a diving Cousins.

A dominant display by The Daggers gave them a deserved victory and pushed them up to 7th position in the league.

Next Up

Dagenham and Redbridge now face a trip to Maidenhead United on Saturday. Maidenhead are currently in 11th position in the League.