Addicks Rout Rovers

Omar Eleumi reports on a thrilling win for Charlton Women.

Photo Credit: Omar Eleulmi


The Charlton Women’s team have progressed to the 5th round of the FA Women’s Cup after a thrilling 3-2 victory in extra time away against Blackburn at the Bamber Bridge.

Head Coach Riteesh Mishra opted for the same line-up that beat Swindon Ladies 9-0 away just over a week ago in the FA Women’s Premier League.

Despite the muddy conditions, The Addicks got off to a positive start forcing the home side to concede a couple of corners very early on, however it was Rovers’ Natasha Flint that got the first shot on target of the game, forcing Charlton keeper Katie Startup in saving, a shot hit low into her path, which was comfortable enough to handle.

The visitors then hit back with an attack of their own as Kit Graham picked out Charlotte Lee with a measured pass, only to see her strike on goal tipped over the bar by Rovers keeper Danielle Hill.

Charlton Women were then hit with a worrying few minutes in the game, as keeper Katie Startup was involved in a collision during a Blackburn freekick which went wide. Luckily for them, after some treatment on the field, the England U19 shot stopper was able to continue.


There was late drama near the end of the first half as Charlton’s Grace Coombs came to the rescue with a fantastic headed clearance, following a dangerous delivery into the box from the Rovers.

The Addicks started the second half in somewhat strange fashion as they opened the scoring two minutes in, as a header from Kit Graham deflected off a Blackburn player and rolled into the back of the net.

It wasn’t too long before Blackburn got back on level terms, Flint smashing a loose ball within 12 yards in the 56th minute, after a superb close range save from Katie Startup.

It was end to end stuff up until the 73rd minute, as the Addicks went ahead again, as Graham and Lee combined together with some good passing play before setting up Charlotte Gurr, chipping Rovers keeper from the edge of the box, to make it 2-1.

Blackburn drew level just six minutes later, a freekick from Flint deflecting off the Charlton wall and into the back of the net.


Flint looked to have won it for the home side in the dying embers of the game, as a powerful strike from the forward hit the woodwork, seeing the game to extra time.

Five minutes before the end of the first half of extra time, a long ball from Charlton defender Nicole Pepper sent Gurr on her way on the left flank, before picking out a pass across goal for griffin to slide home, making it 3-2.

Rovers piled the pressure throughout the rest of the second half, however the Addicks kept tight at the back, thus enabling them to proceed to the last 16 stage of the competition.