Saturday’s (25th) National League One game saw second from bottom Loughborough students victorious over Blackheath at Wells End in a tightly contested game.

The game did not start with the ferocity it would end with as the Loughborough fly half Owen Waters converted two penalties from around 40 metres to give them a 6-0 lead.

Blackheath’s response was swift as Blackheath fly half Joe Tarrant replied with a kick of his own after twelve minutes.  Blackheath began to dominate proceedings and led at the break, 15-6.


Loughborough came out for the second half a team rejuvenated, helped by the errors from Blackheath, in which Loughborough managed to turn over the ball three times, punishing the East London side with one of those turnovers as they scored a try.

By the time Waters had pulled the score line closer with his conversion, Blackheath’s dismal second half continued as they gave away a penalty which was successfully taken, and moved Loughborough to within a point of Blackheath.

Loughborough’s Jerod Leat was shown a yellow card for standing in an offside position giving Blackheath’s fly-half, Tarrant, the chance to extend his side’s lead with a strike which he took and slotted between the posts.

Despite being down a man Loughborough kept plugging away and were rewarded with a try after some slick passing.

For the first time in the match the away side had the lead but another sin bin, this time for Loughborough flanker Andrew Boyce for a dangerous tackle, saw Loughborough down to 13. From the resulting foul Blackheath scored and led the match again.


Loughborough refused to go away, coming back strong six minutes from time after the referee deemed Blackheath to have collapsed their scrum.  Loughborough would have the chance to take the lead through a penalty, which they did.

With time running out the home side raced towards the Loughborough goal line but they couldn’t overcome the strong Loughborough defence and yet another turnover.

The Leicestershire side finally kicking the ball into touch to seal their 21-22 victory.