Charlton Women Maintain Top Spot

Charlton's Women came from behind to take all three points, as Omar Eleumi reports.

Charlton Athletic Women’s team came from a goal down to beat Lewes FC Women 2-1 at The Dripping Pan.

Victory meant Charlton maintained their spot at the top of the Southern Division of the FA Women’s Premier League as Lewes slipped to third, leaving the gap between the two sides at seven points.

It was a cagey affair away from home for The Addicks, however the victory came courtesy of second-half strikes from Charlotte Lee and Charley Clifford, securing all three points in a top of the league clash.

There was only one change from the Charlton side that beat Coventry 2-0 last week, and that was a defensive change, Head Coach Riteesh Mishra opting for Katie Flack ahead of Ruby Southgate to start the game.


The visitors were the dominant side for large proportions of the second-half and could have taken the lead earlier on in the game with Kit Graham putting teammate Charlotte Gurr through on goal after an exquisite piece of play, however the effort on goal was denied by Lewes keeper Faye Baker.

Shortly after Charlton threatened again, Graham at the centre of things once more, whipping a dangerous ball into the box only to just elude Gurr at the face of the goal.

Advantage Lewes

But it wasn’t long before the home side made The Addicks pay for their missed opportunities, as Lewes midfielder Kelly Newton made it 1-0, heading home past Katie Startup, from a free-kick launched high into the box by teammate Katie McIntyre.

Shortly after conceding, the visitors responded very well with another attack of their own, Graham the provider once again, playing Gurr through on goal, slotting home what could have been an equaliser, only to be denied by the offside flag.

Just before the second-half, the momentum swung the other direction with former-Charlton player Avilla Bergin causing various problems for her old employers, but her efforts came to no avail.


Patience was key for Charlton as midway through the second-half, Gurr’s initial cross from the left-hand side turned goalward, forcing the keeper to make the save, before quick reactions from Lee enabled her to slot in the rebound, obtaining an eagerly anticipated equaliser with 20 minutes to go.

Lewes Ladies then had a terrific opportunity to regain their lead, however Bergin’s long-range effort struck the woodwork to deprive the home side from going ahead late on.

The visitors’ resilience then paid off, with Gurr picking up another assist, to set up Clifford from an out swinging freekick to the near post, as her effort was fizzed past Lewes’ keeper Baker.

There was still time for more drama, as the home side were unlucky yet again, hitting the cross-bar once more with an effort on goal from Sarah Kempson.

Unfortunately for Lewes, it wasn’t to be as the referee blew the final whistle. Charlton triumphed once again, completing a league double over their rivals.