Dagenham & Redbridge Get The Winning Habit

Despite playing poorly the Daggers notched a fifth consecutive victory, after a 4-1 win away from home against Southport. Youcef Dahmani reports from Merseyside.

The Daggers continued their great run of form against a struggling Southport, who are currently fighting to stay above the relegation zone.

Jamie Allen scored the first goal of the match for the home team in the 24th minute. Jordan Maguire-Drew then equalised for the Daggers in the 34th, followed by Fejiri Okenabirhie contributing to two goals just before half time. Corey Whitely then scored the last goal of the game in the 77th.

John Still made one alteration to his side. Luke Guttridge was replaced by Brighton & Hove Albion loanee, Jordan Maguire-Drew, who earned his place in the starting 11 after scoring last week’s winner against Chester.

Both teams struggled to create any chances in the first quarter of an hour of the game. Ben McKenna was the first threaten for the Daggers, as his half-volley from 18 yards out narrowly missed the far post.


A penalty was given in favour of the home side in the 24th minute, when Joe Widdowson took down Robbie Cundy inside the six yard box. Allen put it past Elliot Justham from the spot.

Southport stopper, Mason Springthrope, was at fault for the Daggers’ equaliser, 33 minutes into the game. It was a clumsy mistake as he caught the ball outside his box, which resulted in a yellow card.

Maguire-Drew then scored directly from the free kick, as he beat Springthrope with a shot into the top corner of the goal.

Only three minutes later the Daggers took the lead. Okenabirhie crossed a low ball into the box for Hawkins and Cundy put it into his own goal.


The east Londoners went into the half time with a comfortable lead as in the 42nd minute Okenabirhie latched onto a pass from Hawkins and the forward accurately fired a shot into the far post.

Southport looked for a way back in the second half on multiple occasions. Andrai Jones tested Justham with a lopping shot, but the Daggers keeper tipped it over.

Another chance came for Jones in the 68th minute, but Justham watched the volleyed shot go just wide of his goal.

Cundy again was involved in yet another goal in the 77th minute, this time resulting in a red card after a foul on Whitely. He then scored from the spot giving the Daggers a three-goal lead.


The Daggers came close to getting a fifth goal, when Maguire-Drew crossed a ball from a free kick and Shaun Donnellan headed just wide.

Looking to make it six consecutive victories, the Daggers will host Guiseley on Saturday 18th February.

Daggers: Justham, Widdowson, Robson, Raymond, Maguire-Drew (83’ Howells), Okenabihrie, Hawkins, Boucaud, Whitely (85’ Benson), Donnellan, Jake Sheppard

Unused subs: Cousins, Doe, Ling

Southport: Springthorpe, R Higgins, Murray, Cundy, Ashton, McKenna (81’ White), Weeks, Nolan, McKeown, Allen, Jones

Unused subs: Priestley, Grimes, Cofie

Attendance: 845 (76 Daggers Fans)