Daggers Complete Ultimate Comeback

Lewis Mckean watched Dagenham & Redbridge defeat Guiseley in an enthralling National League fixture.

Dagenham & Redbridge completed an astonishing comeback from two-nil down to claim victory against a stubborn Guiseley side.

The Daggers found themselves two goals down within the opening 25 minutes of the game, courtesy of efforts from Lee Molyneux and Mike Fondop-Talom.

However, the East-Londoners showed some great fight to pull one back in the 30th minute as Morgan Ferrier tapped in Sam Ling’s dangerous cross to give the home side and the on-looking crowd hope.

Dagenham drew level late on in the half, three minutes into additional time, via a Corey Whitely corner which was finished off by Captain Scott Doe.

Spring In Their Step

The buoyant Londoners came out after the break with considerable wind in their sails. The 1,116 supporters in attendance did their best to keep the side’s intensity high, with rousing support. It eventually paid off in the 80th minute, when the East Londoners snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Ferrier was played through into the box before squaring the ball for Whitely, whose shot is rebounded onto the path of Luke Howell, who finished off the swift move to give the Daggers victory late on.

As opposed to Guiseley pushing the home side late in the game, it was the Daggers who remained in the ascendancy, peppering the visitors’ goal, with Morgan Ferrier (the Man of the Match) proving particularly threatening.

The contest ended with the home side having completed their come-back to claim the much-needed victory.

‘Fantastic Turn Around’

Dagenham & Redbridge Assistant Manager, Darren Currie, spoke after the game: “There was a real determination about the players today, and it was a fantastic turn-around. In the end, we probably could’ve won a bit more comfortably, so it was a great day and I’m very pleased with the performance.”

Guiseley boss Paul Cox heaped praise on how his team went about the game after their mid-week triumph in the FA Cup.

“We’ve came here and played on the front foot to score two good goals. We then went on to sit back, and you can’t do that, especially against teams like Dagenham away from home. I won’t say that it was down to having a huge game involving extra time and penalties in mid-week, but it definitely had an impact on my players.”

Next up for Dagenham is another test at home in the form of Dover Athletic, with a win potentially seeing them climb as high as a play-off place.