Lions Roar Back

Alex Dibden saw Millwall record a dramatic and much-needed away victory.

Millwall recovered from a 2-0 deficit to beat Bury 3-2 at Gigg Lane on Saturday.

Over 400 Millwall fans made the 241-mile trip up north to see their beloved Lions take on the Shakers in a game they looked likely to lose for well over an hour.

But goals from Shaun Williams, Callum Butcher and Aiden O’Brien sealed a sensational comeback and sent the vociferous visiting fans home deliriously happy.

It all looked very different when a second-half brace from James Vaughan looked to have given the home side victory.

The game was a doubt before kick off after temperatures in Greater Manchester were reaching freezing, with Oldham Athletic’s game just a few miles up the road being postponed due to a frozen pitch.

Despite half the pitch still being frozen and the sun quickly setting, the game went ahead.


The first half saw both teams struggle to break the deadlock.

Millwall almost had a chance to score from the penalty spot when it appeared Niall Maher had brought down Fred Onyedinma in the six yard box, only for referee Jeremy Simpson to quickly reverse the decision after a word with his linesman.

Frustration became apparent with unnecessary tackles and missed passes becoming frequent.

Bury had a chance to take the lead after the half hour mark when Kelvin Etuhu found himself charging forward on the counter attack.

Despite having Vaughan available to his right, Etuhu decided to go it alone, arguably the wrong decision after his feeble shot was easily collected by Jordan Archer.

Missed chances from both sides meant the score was 0-0 going into the break.


Bury came out for the second half strong and were rewarded when Vaughan headed in Danny Mayor’s cross on the hour mark.

Six minutes later, Vaughan doubled Bury’s lead, leaving the Lions with it all to do and Millwall fans heading for the exit.

Minutes later, Millwall were awarded a penalty and this time the decision stood. Williams stepped up to the spot and made no mistake, firing in the bottom left, past the hands of the helpless Ben Williams.

The extensive amount of police officers stood either side of the away fans were called into action when hundreds of Millwall fans descended on Williams’ goal to celebrate.

But there was soon more for them to acclaim.

All of a sudden, with Maher seeing a straight red for his hand ball on the line, Bury were down to 10 men and had the tough job of holding on to the win they so desperately needed.

Four minutes from time, substitute Butcher got his head on the end of a Shane Ferguson free kick to draw it level.

An injury-time winner from O’Brien sent the Lions’ following into a euphoric eruption, earning O’Brien a yellow card after he removed his shirt and dived into the crowd.

This time it was the Bury fans heading for the exit.


Lions boss Neil Harris wasn’t completely happy with his side’s missed chances, but told Millwall’s official website, “Of course I’m delighted for my players, it shows real character, real desire, to come back from two-nil down”.

After losing manager David Flitcroft last Wednesday, Bury needed a good run to prove they weren’t a club in turmoil. But since Flitcroft’s departure, the Shakers have lost games against AFC Wimbledon, Sheffield United and Millwall to make it a club-record 10 game losing streak.