McKenzie’s Debut Goal Keeps Cannons And Rooks Level

Greenwich Borough secured a credible 1-1 draw against top of the league Lewes in a tough contest at the DSG Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

DGS Stadium

The game featured hard-fought big tackles, but not much goal action.

Greenwich striker Jack Barham had a strike deflected early in the game before hitting the side netting with a half volley just minutes later – deceiving a few inside the DSG as his shot looked to have found the back of the net.


It took 20 minutes for the first shot on target to occur, with Greenwich in control of possession. A delightful cross from Barham on the right wing found the head of Charlie Macdonald, forcing a great save from Lewes stopper Christopher Winterton, using his legs to deny the midfielder his first goal since grabbing a brace against Ashford United at the start of November.

Normal service then resumed and the game failed to carve anything of note, bar injury stoppages to Boro captain Mark Phillips and Lewes’ Bouwe Bosma to close out the first half.

The second period started with a goalmouth scramble as ‘keeper George Kamurasi failed to deal with an incoming ball but fortunately for the Cannons, the Rooks failed to capitalise on the chance and the ball was eventually cleared.

As time ticked down, the contest turned scrappy. More fouls occurred as Lewes lost patience. And it was a foul that led to Greenwich’s opening goal.

Boro Capitalise

Tom Carlse was brought down on the left wing, and it was quick thinking from the full back to take the free kick quickly. He crossed the ball onto the run of McKenzie whose header was inch perfect and found the bottom corner.

Greenwich debutant Chinedu McKenzie, who only signed for the club the previous day, scored the goal that put Greenwich into the lead with just under thirty minutes left in the second half.

Lewes breakthrough

Gary Alexander’s men looked the better side and controlled the game with impetus.

However, with time drawing to a close, it was Lewes man George Landais, formerly of Millwall, Aldershot and Swedish club Junsele who popped up with an equaliser, cancelling out McKenzie’s opener to snatch a point with just eight minutes remaining.

A minor lapse in concentration lead to the Rook’s leveller. The cross from Ronnie Conlon reached the head of William Medlock; and his header beat Kamurasi into the path of substitute George Landais to tap home just three minutes after coming on.

The full-time whistle signalled a hard-fought point, leaving Greenwich and Lewes to remain in fifth and first respectively.