Streak Ended On A Special Day

Dagenham & Redbridge saw their brilliant form come to a jolting end as they lost 2-1 to relegation candidates Guiseley. Uways Nisar reports.

Dagenham and Redbridge celebrate their Kick Racism Out Day.

The Lions winger Jordan Preston opened the scoring for the visitors on the 12th minute, after a poor start by Dagenham. Key attacker Corey Whitley was then sent off for a head-butt on Guiseley defender Connor Brown, in the 15th minute.

It was clear that things were not going to go the right way for the Daggers, when midfielder Jordan Maguire-Drew missed a penalty on the stroke of halftime. Preston scored a second goal for the visitors in the 52nd minute. Oliver Hawkins’ goal in stoppage time turned out to be nothing more than a consolation.

It was meant to be a special day for the east Londoners, as the fans came in their numbers registering their highest home attendance of the season.  A whopping 2,055 fans, including 32 away fans attended. The club were also holding their annual Kick Racism Out of Football day.

Manager John Still made one change to the team with new signing Ray Grant coming in for Luke Guttridge. Craig Robson was given the captaincy as regular captain Scott Doe remained on the bench.

Warning signs

Guiseley laid out their intentions straight from the off as they created the game’s first chance in the fourth minute of the game. Winger Derek Asamoah lashed a low cross, but striker Jake Cassidy was unable to get on the end of it.

Dagenham didn’t heed the warning as Guiseley took the lead just eight minutes after. The ball was played out wide to Preston, he then cut in from the left hand-side too easily from defender Jake Shepperd and slotted into the bottom corner.

This didn’t seem to deter Dagenham, who dominated most of the chances and possession in the first half as they looked to get themselves back in the game.

Hawkins was unable to take both of his chances. The first came in the 11th minute, when the forward found himself one-on-one with keeper Jonathan Maxted, but Hawkins ended up scooping the ball over the bar. The second came in the 15th when Hawkins headed narrowly over the bar after rwinger Fejiri Okenabirhie whipped in a fantastic delivery.

A costly confrontation

Seconds after Whitley found himself in a confrontation with Guiseley defender Connor Brown, who accused him of going down too easily after a tackle in the box. Whitely was then sent-off.

The home side then found themselves with a fantastic chance to equalise on the stroke of half-time when Guiseley player Marcus Williams was guilty of handling the ball in the box. Brighton & Hove Albion loanee Magurie-Drew stepped up only to see his tame shot brilliantly saved by Maxted.

The East Londoners went into half-time regretting missing a brilliant chance, and they were made to further rue it soon after half-time. Preston once again proved too much for right-back Jimmy Shepperd as he cut in and lashed in a shot past Elliot Justham into the top right corner in the 52nd minute.

Dagenham did reduce the deficit deep into stoppage time when Joe Widdowson crossed for Hawkins to tap in his 18th goal of the season.

The loss will be costly for Dagenham as the gap with leaders Lincoln City could extend. Lincoln now holds a three-point gap and have two games in hand on Dagenham.

The Daggers’ next game will be against Bromley on Tuesday the 21st of February.

Daggers XI: Justham; Sheppard, Robson, Donnellan, Widdowson; Boucaud, Grant (Doe 46’); Maguire-Drew (Howells 67’), Whitely, Okenabirhie (Benson 61’); Hawkins

Subs: Cousins, Staunton

Guiseley XI: Maxted; Brown, Lowe, Lawlor, Williams; Hatfield, Walton, Rooney; Asamoah (Logan 90’), Cassidy (Rankine 75’), Preston (Boyes 83’)

Subs: Vidal, Green

Attendance: 2,055