Both UEL teams went into their games against Brunel sides knowing they had nothing to play for as the seconds were confirmed safe from relegation after Essex failed to win their game in hand.

This meant the story of the day came from the 3rd teams game as they took on a title chasing Brunel side, with the latter securing a precious point that handed them the league title.

Brunel had taken the lead early on but were quickly pegged back as Daniel Lavin scored with a good finish. Brunel responded well from this set back and went 2-1 ahead shortly after as UEL failed to clear a long ball.

Momentum Swung

In an end to end half UEL drew level through Tosin Bello just before half time which meant as things stood, Brunel would win the league with a point. However, momentum swung 10 minutes into the second half as UEL took the lead for the first time in the game as Lavin scored his second of the game to make it 3-2.

Brunel began to throw players forward in search for that crucial goal and they thought they had found it with just seven minutes left only for the goal to be ruled out for offside. This looked to be the end of the action as UEL tried to hold on for three points but Brunel found a dramatic late goal to snatch the league title off their league rivals Tottenham Hotspur Foundation first team.

Slip ups

It was a game in which UEL could have been competing for the league title but too many slip ups cost the blues the opportunity earlier in the season and left others firmly in control. Brunel seized on this opportunity and took the glory back to West London thanks to the crucial away point.

Speaking after the game, UEL coach Tim Lukwago congratulated Brunel on their success but claimed his side had underachieved this season.

“As a team we would like to congratulate Brunel on winning the title but from a personal point of view the game summed up our season as I felt we underachieved.” He Said.


Away from the thirds, the second team lost 3-0 to Brunel seconds but it didnt make a difference to the East London side as they were confirmed safe before kick off.

Captain Stephen McGinn spoke of the relief of staying in the division but stated they should be challenging at the top end next year.

“It’s been a tough season but we’re all relieved to finally be safe, we now need to look to next season where we should really be at the top end of the table.”

As both sides drew their seasons to a close, UEL will now turn their attention to Varsity as they prepare a side to compete against Anglia Ruskin’s football team.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home2/journaleast/public_html/wp-content/themes/Newspaper/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 353