Welling End Winless Run Against Poole

Welling United picked up three vital points in the Vanarama National League South with a 2-1 win against high flying Poole Town to end their five game winless run. Bill Martin followed the action at Park View Road.

A first half own goal from Poole town keeper Nick Hutchings along with a Harry Crawford penalty were enough to see off The Dolphins, despite them scoring a late penalty through Steve Devlin to make it a nervy finish for The Wings.

Strong Start

Welling were 11 places behind their visitors in the table going into kick off, but it didn’t show as the Londoners started strongly. Their early pressure was rewarded on five minutes after a flurry of corners. Ricky Hayles powered a header at goal, which keeper Nick Hutchings didn’t deal with by diverting the ball into his own goal.

United didn’t let up with the pressure, almost scoring just minutes later when Murrel-Williamson saw his effort cannon off the bar. Poole caved in to the pressure halfway through the first period, conceding a penalty.

Poole defender Tullack tangled with Murell-Williamson just inside the box and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Crawford sent Hutchings the wrong way to double the home sides lead.

Poole began to grow into the game after as a midfield battle between the teams ensued. They had much more possession but failed to create any clear-cut chances. Their biggest chance came to Marvin Brooks who cut inside the left wing to send his shot clear over the bar.

Danger man

Poole started the second half much stronger when they had their own penalty shout turned down, as a header by Devlin appeared to strike the arm of Welling captain Sean Francis.

When Welling did get the ball, they searched for their danger man Murrel-Williamson to provide the magic. Tallack had a difficult afternoon with Williamson getting the better of him on most occasions throughout the game, before being forced off injured in the 59th minute.

Poole had near total dominance of the ball but still couldn’t create many chances. Luke Roberts failed to find a man with his low-driven cross from the wing after Delvin got the flick on straight from a Hutchings goalkick on the hour mark.

With 25 minutes left Welling had the chance to kill the game off when Crawford found himself clean through on goal. His touch let him down though. As he tried to round the keeper, he took himself too wide though. Roberts and Brooks continued to threaten down the left for the visitors, forcing Chris Lewington into a couple of very good saves in the space of a few minutes.

Poole’s possession finally paid off as they were awarded a penalty with six minutes remaining after Roberts was pushed in the back from a corner. Devlin confidently struck his penalty into the top corner. Despite late pressure The Dolphins couldn’t grab a late equaliser, with the game finishing 2-1.

The win for Welling puts them up to 15th whilst Poole lose ground on the teams above them.

Welling United XI: Lewington; Fish (Richards ‘74) Brown, Hayles, Francis ©; Walker, Waldren, Fuseini, Murrel-Williamson (Karaginannis ’60) Crawford, Cathline (Amu ’85).

Subs not used: Paul Agu, Dean Leacock.