Orient’s Winning Streak Continues

 Abubacarr Kamara reports as the Orient women’s side make it three wins on the spin.

 Leyton Orient women extended their winning streak to three games after beating Bexhill 4-0.

Sophie Le Marchand, Jasmine Campbell, Belen Ripoll Douton and Egle Trezzi all found the back of the net to record an emphatic victory.

Orient quickly established themselves as the dominant team but could not get their free-flowing football going as the standard of the pitch was not that great. As the game went it appeared the conditions suited Bexhill more than the O’s.

The match had all the makings of an upset as Orient continued to struggle with the conditions, uncharacteristically pumping long balls into the opposing half as playing the ball on the floor and moving it fast was not an option on this standard of pitch.

Orient found their feet, however. Le Marchand broke the deadlock 10 minutes before half time, coolly rounding the ‘keeper following an excellent through ball before rolling a shot into the empty net to make it 1-0 to Orient.


After half time the O’s immediately stepped things up with more balls finding players’ feet as the team started to move the ball much quicker.

It was not long before the lead was doubled. Ripoll Douton carried the ball forward before linking up with Naomi Sterling with a well worked one-two on the right edge of the penalty area before calmly slotting the ball low across goal and into the far corner.

The O’s had started to relax as the half went on but Campbell marked another forceful performance with a goal in the 65th minute nodding in Ellie Davies’ cross to make it 3-0 and keep her just two goals behind Le Marchand and Ripoll Douton in the contest to finish the season as top scorer.

Sanneka Virgo was introduced up front for her first appearance of the season replacing Pinja Piira, who had effortlessly stepped into the centre of defence to partner Danni Griffiths.

Orient were in control of the game and in the 72nd minute Trezzi made it four when her shot slipped through the keeper’s hands and across the line.

On the 80th minute Trezzi thought she had scored again after her ball forward from the halfway line seemed to have bounced over the keeper’s head and into the net, but despite looking to have crossed the line a goal kick was given instead.